Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Top 10 Games I've Played in 2015

I've played a lot more video games this year than I have in a while. That's mainly due in part to getting a Wii U this year. And it was a great get, offering what I feel are some of the best games I've played in a long time. In an industry that often follows the bland formulas seen among the PS4s and XBoners, the Wii U constantly bucks the trend with some high quality titles that are well worth the price of admission...

Most of the time. 

With that, I figured I'll do a quick countdown of the ten best games I've played this year. Not just on Wii U, but the 3DS and any console I've managed to try newer/older stuff on. Be it games I've never gotten around to playing, or games I finally got my hands on to complete, it's a definitive ten of the games I enjoyed the most out of my experiences (limited as they often are at times) this year.


#10. Earthbound Beginnings (Wii U)

Nintendo's E3 was a mixed bag for most, with a lackluster digital event offering us mostly okay at best titles for the upcoming future, but the one game announced that weekend that really got my energy up was finally seeing that the original Mother was getting released in North America. A game that for almost a quarter century was ready to go for a North American release only to be shelved. And despite the rom being available for free for the better part of that quarter century, I still stuck to my guns and waited for an official release, and wasn't disappointed.

The original game in the Mother/Earthbound series offers a fun early NES RPG with just the right amount of silly quirkiness. However, it has aged quite badly with dull, long grinding and, at times, insanely brutal difficulty. But, what still lies within is a charming little game from one of gaming's best eras, and the building blocks of a franchise that was going to offer greater adventures to come. And with this release, it means that maybe, just maybe they'll finally give in and give Mother 3 to the rest of the world at long last.

#9. Splatoon (Wii U)

I'm not the biggest fan of shooters, which is the only real reason Splatoon isn't higher than it should be. But despite that, what Splatoon offers is one of the most fun multiplayer experiences on any console. Be you squid now, or kid now, the game offers fast paced action along with tons of charm, and more ink than any sane person could possibly muster. And with Nintendo constantly offering new stuff for the game free of charge, this is a game and an IP that looks to hold strong for a long time, and I'll definitely be there to see what comes next.

#8. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)

Starting off the list of games I never gave much of a shot to until 2015, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D was a fun surprise. While the game doesn't hold too much of a candle to the iconic Diddy's Kong Quest, DKCR3D still manages to make some of the most fun and action packed levels that are harder than a gorilla's balls. While it's a downgrade in some areas from the Wii version, it's still a perfect platformer for those on the go. I haven't had too much of a chance to play Tropical Freeze yet, but it's definitely a game I plan to get through in 2016, and I can't wait to enjoy. 

#7. Yo-Kai Watch (3DS)

Yo-Kai watch is the only game on this list that I haven't actually put too much time into at this point, but I'm confident enough to say that it's easily shaping up as one of my favorites so far. Adding in a fresh take on the monster catching genre, packed with plenty of charm and a ton of unabashedly Japanese absurdity. Granted, it's far less strategic than Pokemon, but what it lacks in battle depth, it makes up for in its fun and simplistic gameplay that still offers a satisfying gameplay experience. In a year without a top tier Poke-game, Yo-Kai watch is a satisfying substitute.


#6. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Much like shooters, I'm not much into racing games. But leave it to the plumber to constantly pull me in with the Mario Kart series. And, to no surprise, the eighth installment is perhaps the franchise's strongest, with a wide variety of tracks, vehicles, and characters. And nothing is more satisfying than playing as Isabelle and smashing my foes with red shells. The consistent quality of Mario Kart continues to entertain, and I'm certain it will be a game I continue to ride along with in the next year.

#5. Wario Land III (3DS)

I reviewed this game earlier this year, and in it I gave it nothing but praise. Simply put, it is one of the best games on the 3DS Virtual Console. Solid platforming, great challenge, and most importantly a game that makes backtracking through levels extremely rewarding. With great graphics for the Game Boy and plenty of charm that only Wario can provide, you owe it to yourself to pick this classic up. 

#4. Super Smash Bros for Wii U (Wii U)

Smash Bros is pretty much the reason to own a Wii U. The fourth installment of the franchise may be it's best in terms of just the sheer amount of fanservice within. Not just from Nintendo, but companies like Sega, Capcom and Square Enix. A game with DLC that is actually worth the money spent, not to mention some great control, music and sound. Granted, I may be more of a fan of the 3DS port as I got more comfortable with that prior to the Wii U version, but that is far from a valid reason to overlook one of the best games for a system that deserves more respect than it often gets.

#3.  Wario Ware Inc. Mega Microgames (Wii U)

You know what game I play perhaps more than any other on my Wii U?  Surprisingly, it's Wario Ware. It's almost like the console and the game were perfect for each other, offering fast paced mini-games that are easy to play, but not always as easy to master. And for a game which offers such brief mini-games, it may be one with the most replayability, offering plenty of new rewards for how well you do. Add in plenty of insanity with the variety of games within and you have one of Nintendo's best, and at times unsung, titles. 


#2. Super Mario Maker (Wii U)

Super Mario Maker isn't so much a game as it is a celebration. A celebration of Mario as a franchise, and a celebration of those who have ever played any game in the series. Super Mario Maker offers players the building blocks to make their own Mario levels with the only limits being their imagination. And with it, it's offered some of the most unique, creative and fun levels ever made. And with new content being added on a regular basis, it just means more greatness is to come. In short, Super Mario Maker is an important game of this generation, as it's one that can truly help mold the minds of the future game makers of the world, much like the franchise did for those who squashed their first Goomba 25 years ago. 

#1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

You ever play a game so good that it changes your views of a franchise? That was the case with me when I finally got around to playing A Link Between Worlds. I was never a massive Zelda fan, despite playing my fair share of titles. But with this sequel/remake of A Link to the Past being one of the best in terms of control, level design, challenge, and story, it really made me appreciate what Zelda is, and what it often offers to the industry. It even got me to pick up and replay Link to the Past again, which was an enjoyable experience on its own.

 But I honestly feel that the newer game is the superior version, what with the ability to turn into a painting to traverse to harder to reach areas, as well as the game's difficulty and dungeon design, for the most part, being much better built than its predecessor. And that's coming from someone who often prefers classics over newer works. I was glad to finally give the game a fair shot, and in a way, it  actually helped me get excited to try the new Zelda game whenever it arrives on the Wii U.


And that's my top 10 games I've played in 2015. Overall, I enjoyed what I played this year and definitely look forward to what's to come in 2016. I intend to finish some games, as well as anticipate plenty of new ones. So, here's to a new year.